Friday, July 17, 2009

J. K. Rowlings!



In case you don't know who this writer is, she is the author of the Harry Potter books!

I was watching a documentary about a "year in the life" of her life. She seems very ordinary and very normal - I say that because she is estimated to be worth millions because of her Harry Potter books! She is a millionaire many times over!

What did stand out for me was how she talked about how her writing was so closely related to her own life. She had a hard time dealing with the death of her mother and parts of that also show up in her writing as well!

For a time she lived on "benefits" which I take to mean that she was getting some sort of government assistance like government grants and food stamps and the like! (Now you have to remember that this is over in England and I would love it if our own government had programs to help financially support struggling writers!)

I loved the fact that she still likes baking nd it seems that her financial wealth has gotten her too crazy!

She has said that people have written to her asking for money and that at times she has even granted their requests! Now she has set up a charitable trust.

I guess the thing that stands out most to me about this author is the fact that she wrote her books from her heart and wasn't just writing for money - in fact she had even resolved herself to the fact that her first book might have never even gotten published!

So her story is very inspirational! And it does give one hope!

No comments: